 General / 35970
Re: What happened to the Cool site of the Week?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:24:12 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Matt Hein writes:
[...]
I was just wondering, what happened to the cool site of the
week feature?!
[...]

The accurate answer to your question is this:

As some of you know, Todd Lehman, who's project CLSOTW was, lost enthusiasm
for working with the AFOL community about a year ago. He continued to update
his feature for a few additional months with the assistance of a community
member or two.

But, from about the time he allowed his fibblesnork.com and auczilla.com
domains to lapse, it became increasingly difficult for me, Dan, and Jenn to
get Todd to update CLSOTW.

It's stagnation eventually became absurd and embarrassing, so I gave Dan the
ok to remove CLSOTW's display from our LUGNET homepage. I'm sorry that I
didn't make a proper announcement at that time on Todd's behalf. I (or he)
should have.

Now, as far as someone else running it, Todd -was- offered assistance from
many folks, and I even requested he allow others to completely run the
feature for him. It was suggested to him that the process be automated and
simplified so that an appointed member could then do the tasks of overseeing
voting, making selections, writing reviews, uploading content, and archiving.

Todd told me that part of the process couldn't be automated or handed over
to another member - that we would still be dependand on him for a critical
action in the process each week. Because I don't trust Todd with that
responsibility, our discussion of the possibility ended.

Please understand that CLSOTW was, and still is, Todd's personal project so
only he can speak for it.

More recently, Matthew Gerber and others have offered suggestions for a
similar, but new, feature for our homepage. I was (and still am) excited
about seeing such a showcase. Some internal discussion went on, with Dan,
Steve Bliss, and others about mechanics that we'd need to develop for a
voulenteer to run such a feature. I also spoke with Todd, to see how he felt
about it.

I need to go back into my e-mail to re-read all of our conversations before
I can relate the status to you. But, to put things simply, I've recently had
other issues demanding my attention that outweighed this. BTW, FYI: the
LUGNET homepage is in fact going through an update. You should see results
of that very soon.

I would encourage -any- person or group of people here to build their own
site for the purpose of exposing our community, and the public in general,
to the finest LEGO websites on the internet.

-Suz

Suzanne Rich
LUGNET Admin