 General / 36044
Re: What happened to the Cool site of the Week?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 00:44:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
As some of you know, Todd Lehman, who's project CLSOTW was, lost enthusiasm
for working with the AFOL community about a year ago. He continued to update
his feature for a few additional months with the assistance of a community
member or two.
Hm...I wonder why he lost enthusiasm? Did he state a reason for this?

Now, as far as someone else running it, Todd -was- offered assistance from
many folks, and I even requested he allow others to completely run the
feature for him. It was suggested to him that the process be automated and
simplified so that an appointed member could then do the tasks of overseeing
voting, making selections, writing reviews, uploading content, and archiving.
Todd told me that part of the process couldn't be automated or handed over
to another member - that we would still be dependand on him for a critical
action in the process each week. Because I don't trust Todd with that
responsibility, our discussion of the possibility ended.
Please understand that CLSOTW was, and still is, Todd's personal project so
only he can speak for it.

I see...things are beginning to get a bit more clear on my part. A fully
automated CLSOTW is a great idea, and I just wonder *why* Todd didn't go
with that one. Is he upset because it wasn't his idea, or is there something
else to it? What "critical action" was he talking about?

More recently, Matthew Gerber and others have offered suggestions for a
similar, but new, feature for our homepage. I was (and still am) excited
about seeing such a showcase. Some internal discussion went on, with Dan,
Steve Bliss, and others about mechanics that we'd need to develop for a
voulenteer to run such a feature. I also spoke with Todd, to see how he felt
about it.
Me too. I can't wait to see these new features. I'm sure they'll highlight
the community and add some much needed updates.

I need to go back into my e-mail to re-read all of our conversations before
I can relate the status to you. But, to put things simply, I've recently had
other issues demanding my attention that outweighed this. BTW, FYI: the
LUGNET homepage is in fact going through an update. You should see results
of that very soon. • Thank you! That is very much appreciated!

I would encourage -any- person or group of people here to build their own
site for the purpose of exposing our community, and the public in general,
to the finest LEGO websites on the internet.

-Suz

Suzanne Rich
LUGNET Admin