 General / 3565
Re: X-Planes - building and inspiration
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 00:12:38 GMT

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:45:55 GMT, Bram Lambrecht <braml@juno.com> wrote:

Terry wrote:
I love aircraft, but they are a tough subject to do.
I tend to be overly critical of form, and lego rarely lends itself
well to the subject.  So while I have tackled a few, I rarely like
my results.  :-/

What about your Apache and your Star Wars models?

Exceptions to the rule.  :-)
The Apache somehow came out extraordinarily well.  It surprised me.
And wait till you see the x-wing.  Another surprise.
I would like to do some good fighter aircraft, but those damn curves keep
screwing things up.

The only quibble I have about your version would be to lower those 4
jet engine pieces so they meld into the rear wing, rather than go over
it - I think that might match the example a little better.

I know.  Those engines are another thing I added only while LDrawing.  I
built a couple proof-of-concepts IRL, but couldn't figure out a way to
meld them into the rear wing while retaining the spring nearby that keeps
the large ducts from
changing position.

I see.
Springs? Hmm... that model has more to it than meets the eye.  Pictures and
renderings are nice, but nothing comes close to seeing a model IRL.
We need an immersive virtual reality modeling system.  We need holodecks.

-- Terry K --