 General / 3539
Re: X-Planes - building and inspiration
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:23:17 GMT

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:21:56 GMT, "Bram Lambrecht" <BramL@JUNO.com> wrote:

Having just built a Bell Aerospace X-22A experimental aircraft (

http://chuh.org/students/bram-lambrecht/lego/x22-1.jpg
http://chuh.org/students/bram-lambrecht/lego/x22-2.jpg
http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:193
http://chuh.org/students/bram-lambrecht/lego(new)/air/x-22a/ref.jpg

), I decided to do a little research about X-Planes on the web, possibly to
find more inspiration.  Here's what I found:
At NASA, the history of X-Planes:
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/x1/
Be sure to look at the photo gallery:
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/x1/gallery2.html
I hope this inspires others to create more LEGO versions of these amazing
aircraft!  (Terry - I know you've tackled other real aircraft successfully :)
--Bram

Awesome, Bram.  Got any more angles of it?  And as Ralph said, good use of that
wide very low slope piece.  I bought a level crossing just to get a couple of
those in gray, and have yet to find a good use for one.
I love aircraft, but they are a tough subject to do.  I tend to be overly
critical of form, and lego rarely lends itself well to the subject.  So while I
have tackled a few, I rarely like my results.  :-/
The only quibble I have about your version would be to lower those 4 jet engine
pieces so they meld into the rear wing, rather than go over it - I think that
might match the example a little better.

Another aircraft that _might_ do well in Lego is the V-22 Osprey.  Which your
model has a passing resemblence to.

-- Terry K --