 General / 35486
Re: 22 percent increase in Building & Construction toys?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 22:07:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Erik Olson writes:
From the Toy Fair website:

"In the aftermath of 9/11, many families chose to stay close to home during
the latter part of the year and this trend is reflected in a 22 percent
increase in Building & Construction toys. The most dominant new arrival in
2001 was LEGO's Bionicle line, which took six of the top 20 spots in this
category. However, claiming the number one position in the Building sets
category was the very innovative Screaming Serpent Coaster by K'NEX."

How was this innovative? It's their second coaster!

The only innovative thing I saw about it was that the MSRP was a lot less
(and it had differently abled (they had no feet) passengers on a coaster
train instead of a 4 wheeled cart.

(I question the media reporting, not Erik, who I thank for the post!)

From what I hear it was a great seller, though.