 General / 34524
Re: Why I love Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people.newbie
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 00:25:21 GMT

Hi Shiri, John and whoever cares to read this,

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" <hendo@valyance.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Shiri Dori writes:
P.S. This is cross-posted to lugnet.people.newbie, because I hope • new people
will indeed be encouraged by your post to join in on the fun!

Yes. (That, is at least one was encouraged.)

Wow.  Now perhaps I missed it when I first joined, but I don't • recall ever
being directed to .people.newbie.  Not until Shiri's post (above) • which was
in a highlighted front-page thread did I even realize .newbie • existed.  I am
not trying to gripe, only hinting that perhaps we should have a • direct link
to the .newbie group right on the front page, so it is clear where • to start
when you are new.  There is a lot of good information about LUGNET • there
(such as the intro posts from Larry).  And it is a nice place to say • hello
and welcome and such.

I agree very much. Being new myself I find myself confronted with a
large
collection of groups and have no idea where I 'belong', in what group
start posting. A .newbie group provides an obvious starting point.
Also, I like to sort of introduce myself before starting to join in
ongoing
conversations. I'd feel rude just bumping in, as if I was just
starting to
present my opinions when overhearing an interesting conversation in a
pub. If I wanted to join the talk, I would introduce myself, which can
be
as short as telling my name and saying 'hi'. Works the same way on
Internet for me.

Cheers, Twan.
--
Twanneman@planet.nl