 General / 34244
Re: History of the Oldest LEGO Garages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 22:14:35 GMT

Gary,
I noticed a variation in the Garage doors that I have. Knowing how you like
variations, I thought I'd share. I have a red one with red weights & a red
one with clear weights. The R/R has a back with a X pattern; the R/C has a
smooth back. There is a variation in the Logo on the front, R/R has dots on
the side and R/C doesn't. Also, the two appear to be made out of different
materials, the R/C one is slightly darker red, has less-deep squares, and a
general different look. Hard to describe. I've uploade pictures of the
differences in a folder on Brickshelf:
There are other comparisons in there. If I got something wrong, let me know ;)

BTW, my white garage door has white counterweights.

Thanks,
Clark

In lugnet.general, Gary Istok writes:
Also, I forgot to mention, when they baseplate and frame went from being white
to being gray (circa 1966), the counterweights changed from red to clear.  I
assume this was so that it was more difficult to see the couterweight when the
door was open, if these parts were clear.

One last item,  there were very few if any white doors sold in North
America.  I can never remember having seen any on this side of the Atlantic.