 General / 26754
Re: History of the Oldest LEGO Garages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:24:58 GMT

Kevin Wilson wrote:

Gary Istok wrote in message <3A662B46.ADAE1206@umich.edu>...
These old garages are pretty neat.  They utilize a counterbalance to
open the garage door after you have pressed down on the door pad in
front of the door.   Unfortunately, the door frames (a square cornered
upside down "U") often broke easily.  The same can be said for the
garage doors themselves.  The couterweight came separate, and I have
more than a few of these that have the counterweight broken off with a
piece stuck inside the two slots on the doors.  (Check out #235 in
LUGNET database to see the pieces that I am referring to.)

I have one of these 3-piece garage doors from my childhood in the UK: red
door, white frame, and white base. However, the red door does not have any
kind of separate counterweight attached to it, nor is there any evidence
that it ever did have. The back "L" parts of the door moulding itself are
just large enough to give enough weight for the door to open. Are we talking
about the same thing, Gary? The one I have looks exactly like the #235
picture.

Kevin
Victorian House: Limited edition kit
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-vblu.htm
Craftsman Kits & Custom Lego models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
Brickbay store: http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1
eBay auctions: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/kevinw1/
Personal Lego Web page:

That back "L" part you are talking about is the counterweight.  They are
actually 2 separate pieces that attach to the back of the door.  Many times
these pieces, once inserted, never come out again.  It is possible that these
were sometimes sold with the pieces already inserted, but I cannot confirm
that.  I remember the one I had from my childhood, exactly as you described
Kevin, also didn't come loose out of the slot.

Also, I forgot to mention, when they baseplate and frame went from being white
to being gray (circa 1966), the counterweights changed from red to clear.  I
assume this was so that it was more difficult to see the couterweight when the
door was open, if these parts were clear.

One last item,  there were very few if any white doors sold in North America.  I
can never remember having seen any on this side of the Atlantic.

Gary Istok