 General / 34211
  Re: End of Year Thoughts

(...) Or, you could be optimistic, and say that since the Town Jr. kids are not old enough for more mature town sets, maybe LEGO is waiting a year or two, and they they will introduce bigger town sets. But I think the main thing is that little boys (...) (23 years ago, 29-Nov-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: End of Year Thoughts

(...) One could hope!! :) (...) I walked into the dismally looking toy store (Toys R US), and saw only the "trashy" stuff (which I won't buy, not even on sale), the stuff I already have, and the stuff which is too expensive (waiting it to on a sharp (...) (23 years ago, 30-Nov-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: End of Year Thoughts

(...) Even the "trashy" stuff, if sufficiently discounted, can be a great source of parts for MOCs that are more intelligently designed than Lego's own models. That has always been true. (...) If it gets 'em playing Lego instead of staring at a (...) (23 years ago, 30-Nov-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: End of Year Thoughts

(...) So what you're saying (if I may paraphrase) is that if the sets were less trashy and were better designed, you might buy more of them and at regular price, rather than waiting for blowout sales? I think the moral here is that the company needs (...) (23 years ago, 30-Nov-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: End of Year Thoughts

(...) No, but they would sell more generally. (...) I don't think they ever did that. There are too many economic and marketing restrictions hampering the Lego designers' talents. But they can sure do a whole lot better than a lot of what they've (...) (23 years ago, 30-Nov-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: End of Year Thoughts

(...) Yes, my point exactly. Sorry, I meant to make the paraphrase more generic, and not speak for you directly. (...) Bill, of course they did. Look back. Look way back. During the 70's and early 80's the best sets were what was coming out of the (...) (23 years ago, 1-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: End of Year Thoughts

(...) Are you sure that's not just nostalgia? I can remember even when I was a kid, back in that time frame, thinking "Man, what an ugly set - but at least it's got some good pieces"... For example, <set:6929 Starfleet Voyager> or <set:6882 Walking (...) (23 years ago, 3-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: End of Year Thoughts

(...) Definitely not nostalgia. I still have all my original LEGO sets (including boxes and all instructions) going back to the mid-1970's. I'm not looking at pics on the web, or just running old memories over and again in my head. I can sit and (...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: End of Year Thoughts

(...) Because they can patent new pieces? This is not a whole theory: it doesn't mean they're all basically useful inventions, just that it keeps Lego, uh, different. I guess they get a budget for theme development. Some gets spent on new parts, (...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: End of Year Thoughts

(...) You're going to have to help me with this one. How does this make economic sense? Wouldn't it be better to focus on the pieces you have, the ones that are already useful and for which molds have already been created? I mean, Megablocks has a (...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: End of Year Thoughts

(...) It sounds absurd to me too. I said it wasn't a whole theory... it's a partial theory, postulating patenting pieces as the formal cause. Look, we know it's really expensive to make new pieces. But they keep doing it. It must be that they regard (...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)