 General / 34076
Re: Is this bad design?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 20:51:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Adrian Drake writes:
I suspect it's due to the way that plastic parts are made.  They have to
have a draft, or an angle on all vertical walls, in order for them to be
removed from the mold.  Over small distances, or when reinforced in a 3-d
structure, this draft doesn't show up.  However, when you build a long
distance in a straight line (as your bridge decks are), the small angles in
each vertical wall (it may be as small as 1/2 degree) will add up to cause
bowing in the overall structure.

But that's just a theory.

Hmmmm. I would have though if that's the case, it's more likely the slope would
be outwards toward the bottom of the plate / brick, causing the curvature to be
the other way, ie sunken in the middle rather than raised.

It also doesn't explain the horizontal "bending" - the plates on top actually
have small gaps between them - it seems that connecting them with a plate makes
that gap slightly larger than it is with a brick. Maybe it's just that the
studs on plates are slightly different from those on bricks?

ROSCO