 General / 33859
Re: Lugnet can always grow; it's up to us to make it happen.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 00:52:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.general, Joel Kuester writes:
In lugnet.general, Nick Crocco writes:

I miss the old posting procedure. I don't like the whole "Lugnet Member"
thing. Personally, I don't have a means to pay for a membership. I barely
have enough money between college and necessities to live off of. I also
dislike the new "e-mail confirmation" thing. You know how many people would
have written a small "that's really awesome" comment on a message, but don't
because of the extra step.

I'm not fond of the sign-in process, but I prefer it to the alternative.  I
also think that $10 is not an unreasonable amount to ask for a *lifetime*
membership.  If someone can't save up that much over a few months, it
clearly isn't very important to them.  Again, I don't know your personal
situation.  I myself am unemployed at the moment, and $10 is a lot of money
to me... in my case I am far more concerned with trying to find a job than
signing up to an internet message group (if I hadn't signed up already, for
example).

  I've gotta ask--college student without $10 to spend on a lifetime
  membership to something they claim to prize?  I've been trying to
  understand this whole "but but it's the Internet, they said it would
  all be free here, open, etc" mindset.  It *is* free.  Only the short-
  cuts and the special features are reserved for members.  And it's not
  like you have to learn the secret handshake and sign over the family
  farm--it's ten bucks.  Most college students I know spend that in
  two hours at the bar; most of the college students here, granted,
  probably blow it on a Guarded Inn every five hours.  :D  Really,
  ten bucks is *not* a lot of money, and I'm speaking as a guy who
  lives off of less than you probably do.

Well, it *could* happen.  When I was in college a friend of mine knew a fellow
student who bought a large bag of lentils once a week and lived all week on
lentil soup.  Toward the end of the week when the lentils ran out she went
hungry, so my friend would invite her to dinner. Of course, I never actually
met this person....

  Nick, your points are valid and reasonable, but they don't mesh with
  my own experience; I hope LUGNET will bring your optimism back
  soon enough.  Joel, I think you've put these points together
  beautifully--I rarely can respond to things at such length
  anymore, but it really warranted a kudos.  (Yea, kudos is
  singular, blame the Greeks.)

Okay, Lindsay, I made a special trip from the second floor down to the basement
to check my OED compact edition on this. Are you sure the word takes an
indefinite article?  None of the examples gave any indication that it does.

Maggie C. (Queen of living on less-- I got the OED-- the two volume slip-cased
edition with the magnifier in a little drawer-- for 2 bucks from a garage
sale!)