 General / 32998
Re: Plane Crash in NY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:36:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Findley writes:

I'm not in NY, but for anyone who hasn't heard, there were two more
airliners that went down.  One crashed into the Pentagon and the other
crashed in a field in PA.  This is a sad day for the United States.  There
hasn't been an attack on the US of this magnitude since Pearl Harbor.

I've already heard some of the radio pundits begin to refer to this as the
"Pearl Harbor of the War on Terrorism".

My heartfelt condolences and sympathy to everybody whose life has been
irrevocably altered by this terribly chain of events.  May we all have the
strength and conviction to represent the best of what humanity can offer, even
as we face its worst.

I'd also like to echo what Lindsay said ... it's easy, in the emotional
aftermath of a tragedy such as this, to label and assign blame to entire
peoples and cultures.  Islamic extremists were initially indicated in Oklahoma,
IIRC ... please, everyone, allow yourself to remember that the majority of all
peoples would rather live in a world where differences are settled peacefully
and equitably.  These are confusing times, to say the least - just look at the
spate of contradicting reports that sprang forth almost immediately after this
morning; there have been just as many refutations as reports, it seems.  Now is
not the time to be jumping to conclusions that can be damaging to others; trust
that, while these events may never make sense, our perspectives may be less
cloudy in the days and weeks to come.

This has definitely been a day during which it's been difficult to be
productive at work.  We don't have a TV here, and no radio anywhere near my
desk, and our internet connection is slow on a good day, and subject to
complete failure on a day like this.  Many thanks to all who have been willing
to help those of us in media darkness during the information age *sigh*.  My
first notice of the event actually came in between the two World Trade Center
crashes, when a friend in Ireland e-mailed me a picture at 9:09 a.m.  I've been
riveted in horror since.

Hoping for the best for all of us,
and especially for those with friends and family in any of the crash sites,

Shaun