 General / 30463
Re: Classic - what makes a set a classic?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 23:15:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bryan Kinkel writes:
A few recent postings have touched on the idea of "classic" sets. In your
mind, what makes a set a classic? The design? The charm? Play value? The
fact that is was first in a series?

I generally take "Classic" to be the first series in a new line of
sets.  When Legoland Space arrived, it was the first minifig-equipped
space sets.  After that all space series had a sub-theme name, such
as Futuron, Space Police, whatever.  "Classic Space" got adopted to
refer to the original series.  I suppose the same could result in a
"Classic Castle" term, although I've never heard that used.

I also think longevity of the major theme is a factor, too.  If it
doesn't stay around long enough to prove a success worth continuing,
then I wouldn't really call the launch series "Classic".

So overall my use of "Classic" is different from how TLC is badging
these new yet-to-appear sets.  I would more likely use the term
"best-seller" or "popular favourite"..., but I wouldn't put the
Red Beard Runner in that category.

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada