 General / 30446
30445  |  30447
Subject:
Classic - what makes a set a classic?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 13:04:29 GMT

A few recent postings have touched on the idea of "classic" sets. In your
mind, what makes a set a classic? The design? The charm? Play value? The
fact that is was first in a series?

The recent Classic Space building contest rules suggest that a classic is
defined by design and parts used.
( http://www.lugnet.com/~1/ClassicSpaceContest/2000/Rules )

I'm sure that Lego wrestled with these questions when considering sets for
the reissued Classics series. But Lego had to weigh the additional
parameters of cost and other production-related issues.

Are there any recent sets produced in the past three years that can be
considered a classic? I particularly like the Soccer Bus
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3407 . But this defiantly has some Juniorized
aspects. So I don't know if it is a classic or not.

Are recent sets automatically removed from consideration because of the use
of different building techniques or larger pieces? I'm sure some younger
builders (and perhaps their parents who observe length of play time) could
pick recent sets they feel are instant classics. Perhaps time will tell.

Bryan