 General / 304
Re: Cancel and supersedes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 13:03:54 GMT

Once upon a time, Fredrik Glöckner <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no>
wrote:

sarah@eskimo.com (Perhaps a Princess...) writes:

What is a supersede?

Say you've posted an article, and you find that you've written something
incorrect.  What do you do?  Well, you can cancel the article and post a
new one, or you can supersede the incorrect article with a new one,
which is a tad more simple.

Check out the "Supersedes" header field in <m3btn3e9j1.fsf@sade.uio.no>.
Most real newsreaders should support superseding.

Or you can just post a follow-up which says, "Oops, I goofed.  Here's
the correction."  Which would be the more proper approach, if more
than a trivial amount of time has passed since the erroneous posting.

I've not used either cancel or supersede.  In a threaded-discussion
group (as opposed to an article-posting group), I'm not keen on
general use of either of these functions.

Steve