 General / 29821
Re: ??? Why the ‘Rainbow Bar’ ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:36:24 GMT

Good answer Clark!  You are correct.  The original Lego sets from the late 50's
had blue borders with lots of yellow background in the picture on the box, and
"LEGO System in Play" in lots of different languages.  From 1960-65 (or
thereabouts) the boxes were mostly with blue borders, boxtope artwork with some
LEGO bricks at various angles and a "lego stud" background,  with the set number
in the side corners in yellow with black background.  Then things got really
colorful with the rainbow designs first coming out in some sets in circa 1964.
Unfortunately the supplemental parts packs at that time got less colorful than
the 1956-64 parts packs.

Gary Istok

Clark Stephens wrote:

Richard,
The earliest I could find this logo was 1964's European Taxie.
At that time, the five colors were the only ones available in bricks (the
history of green & grey plates & bricks is in a different thread). Lego kept
the logo even after they added more colors. There is also a flag with that
five-bar logo 3596p01.

It appears to have lasted into early 1978 (Wedding). The "new"
1978/1979 yellow boxes don't seem to have it.
Clark

In lugnet.general, Richard Noeckel writes:
                              Why the ‘Rainbow Bar?’

I remember seeing this when I was little. Some Lego sets from the 60’s and
late 70’s had a ‘five color-bar box’ right next to the TLC logo.