 General / 29699
Re: Another perspective on "legos"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:57:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steve Bliss writes:
While reading through various "It's LEGO, not legos" messages, an odd
thought occurred to me:

Practically speaking, which is more damaging to the LEGO Identity: kids
saying things like "I'm gonna play with my lego(s)" or kids saying things
like "I'm gonna play with my bricks"?

Personally, if I was part of The LEGO Company, I'd rather hear the former
than the latter.  Especially if I was in Marketing or Brand Management.

...unless the kid was playing with plastic building bricks that _weren't_
made by the LEGO company. There comes a point when your brand is so well
known that it becomes synonymous with any other similar product and a
valuable trademark becomes a generic term that anyone can use. Imagine, if
you will:

Some place where both LEGO and MegaBloks are sold, a well meaning parent on
a tight budget searches for an educational toy. She decides on plastic
building bricks, compares two brands, and not surprisingly chooses the one
that is half the price of the other.

The kid, with brand consciousness thoroughly drummed into her head, says
"Mum!! These are MegaBloks, not real LEGO!!" Mum patiently points out that
they're all legos, there's no difference at all.

They get home, the kid marches off. "Where are you going?", Mum asks.
"To play with my legos." In the parent and the child's minds all plastic
building blocks are legos, even when they're not made by the LEGO company.
If the LEGO company went bust, there would still be legos made by someone
else. Which is a nice sort of immortality, but not necessarily a great
business model.

--DaveL