 General / 2958
2957  |  2959
Subject:
Linking to LUGnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:02:31 GMT

Fred Carcanague III wrote in message ...
Amendment to my post...

After reading the post about SIGMA and copyrights, I have come to the
conclusion that some people might not want a link to their web page. If • this
is the case please let me know and I will omit you from the appropriate
list. I gain nothing from making the web page w/all the links to Lego pages
around the world, this is just a toy that I have loved for the past 20some
years.

In general nobody will object to (and even appreciate) putting such a link
on a website, as long as:

1) it's in proper context (which it definitely is in your case)

2) the target is 'described' in a way that the target owner feels
comfortable with

Actually, even when people do object, they can't legally prevent others from
linking to their site, and they can't dictate the description.

However, it's prohibited to use *art work* copied from the target site as a
link (button). That's what the concern of Todd was about; not the linking
itself but using the LUGnet logo.
As a proposed 'deal' Todd allows people to use this artwork as a link under
stric conditions, such as the exact descriptive text and context of
reference. This is to coerce strict influence on points 1 and 2 above, which
wouldn't be the the case otherwise.

As for context of reference: the restriction of "_top" implicates that the
LUGnet site shouldn't be reference to inside a child frame of the original
site: it must be shown in the main window. This topic is often a struggle
between the maintainers of the two sites involved.  E.g., from my site I
refer to many other sites, showing them in a frame, while maintaining my
main menu as a context. This allows people to browse through my 'selection'
without getting lost. Ofcourse, sometimes the visitor wants to go to the
other site, leaving mine behind, so I offer two types of links for each
reference; one 'preview' and one full-screen.

So by exercising the copyright of the logo, Todd effectively discourages
people to show LUGnet in a frame. Ofcourse they always can, but then they
can't use the logo as a button. (E.g., using my existing setup I will
probably not be using the logo on my references page).

Eric Brok

P.S.
Todd will probably route this thread to .publish :-)