 General / 29062
Re: April Fools Day is coming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:20:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Jon Kozan writes:
What if I post truth on 4/1, but it's so outlandish that no one believe's it?
Have I succeeded in April Foolishness?

LOL :)

A very Zen question! I would say yes. The essence of an April Fool's joke is
to get the victim to believe a falsehood.

And the essence of a really good one of that type is giving the "victim"
enough clues so that when the falsehood is revealed, they feel like they
should have or could have gotten it...yet not too many clues as to give it
away.  :-)  The new-train-set hoax last year worked on that level for some
people and not for others; how clear the clues were depended on your
background and experiences.

HOW you get them to do so matters
not to the "joke"-ness. And disbelieving something that is true is just as
much belief in a falsehood as believing something that is not true.

IMHO anyway.

++Lar

I think there must be more than one type of joke.  There's the truthhood/
falsehood kind (above and last year's train hoax) and then there's the
"practical joke" or "prank" kind (a bit of Palmolive in the toothpaste; a
bit of Vaseline on the ear end of the telephone handset; a bit of Saran Wrap
pulled tight across the toilet seat; short-sheeting the bed, etc.).  There
must be other kinds.

Oh well, happy conjuring!

--Todd