 General / 27915
Re: Is Lego Art, or what?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 04:39:43 GMT

Cool, Thanks for asking....These are important questions. Come check out an
Art Show I am involved in. The show is March 24th Details at:
www.regurgitationshow.com

Until I get better pix and a website...Suffice to say, I'll be displaying a
6 foot long Preying Mantis that took 3 years to complete. Two 3 foot tall
Mechs. One is a all Black winged robot. The other is a Red robot simular to
the Battle Master of Battle Tech. Then My Latest...a fully articulated
robotic torso....This is the first step in the only robot I have to
build...20 motors and 4 RCX controll lifesize arms....the Head...which
is...Proud to say completed!
An RCX contolls the neck mechcanisms. Two (2) Vision Command - Vision
Sensors Sit in the head behind eyelids controlled by pnuematics!

Sorry to babble on about MOC's , that is to say- I do think
Working/building/using/creating with Lego is Artisttic to me, and I take it
seriously....Hey...Lego is my Meduim!!!

Build on.....2001

Eric Sophie
aka
"Legomaster" (around these parts!) whoohoo

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Lill writes:
I am really bored at work today so I am taking this opportunity to ask all
you LUGNET people questions which have been interesting me a bit. I spend
much of my time away from work making art. I consider myself, in part, an
artist. Unfortunately this leaves less time for Lego but that is a choice I
have made. Because of my dual interests, I have wondered how many people out
there also consider themselves artists. Here's a couple of questions:

Do you make things you consider art?

Do you consider your Lego creations artworks?

Do you make things which aren't strictly speaking Lego creations but involve
the use of bricks (i.e. multimedia collages)?

Do you call yourself an artist?

Are you a professional in a creative field such as graphic or industrial
design or architecture?

Are you able to utilize Lego in your profession apart from merely sharing
your enjoyment with your coworkers?

If both building and playing with Lego is a creative pursuit, how does it
differ from other creative pursuits such as painting or sculpting?

If you don't consider your Lego creations art, why not?

I have hesitated asking these questions because I foresee the matter
devolving into a debate of "WHAT IS ART?" But I am not interested in any
strict definitions or in making blanket statements. I want to know how
people personally feel towards what they make and how they differentiate
their Lego activities from what they do in the rest of their life or from
what other people do.

I have read that many of the posters here are people involved with
computers, engineers, programmers, mathematicians, etc. This makes sense as
those fields have a lot to do with the constructive, logical, and systematic
aspects of Lego. I have seen Lego models built by professional architects
and they have an obvious connection as well. At the bottom of this inquiry
is the question of what the activity of playing with Lego really consists of
and how it is or can be integrated with one's life.

Response to any of these issues would be appreciated.
By the way, I have seen some models of museums of art in Lego bricks but I
would be interested in seeing brick creations that are truly abstract and
not imitations or representations of everyday, or real, objects.