 General / 27865
Re: Is Lego Art, or what?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:07:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Lill writes:

Do you make things you consider art?

Yes

Do you consider your Lego creations artworks?

My sculptures I consider art.  My space and town MOC's, not so much.  The
museum treads a fine line between model and artwork.  I do tend to
differentiate between them (I think that if I can use the creation in a game
of BrikWars as something other than scenery, it's artwork)

Do you make things which aren't strictly speaking Lego creations but involve
the use of bricks (i.e. multimedia collages)?

I don't think so.

Do you call yourself an artist?

No

Are you a professional in a creative field such as graphic or industrial
design or architecture?

By profession, I'm a mechanical engineer.  Depending on your perspective,
that is a creative field.  It certainly is a very hands-on field.

Are you able to utilize Lego in your profession apart from merely sharing
your enjoyment with your coworkers?

Not until I can use Lego to build a power supply case :)

If both building and playing with Lego is a creative pursuit, how does it
differ from other creative pursuits such as painting or sculpting?

I don't believe it does.  Lego is a medium for your creative outlet.  In
that regard, it's no different from clay or paint (or yarn for crocheters,
or wood for cabinet makers, etc)

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com