 General / 27778
Re: It's here! 6773 Alpha Team Helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:13:15 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:

Actually, I think this piece will find some good use. It has the
advantage that
it can be mounted stronger than the normal 2x2 tile with vertical peg. One
thing it might be usefull for is an alternate bogie plate for trains.

Yes! I totally agree. This piece is more than the sum of its parts. The
problem with the 2x2 tile with peg is that it does not have good adhesion.
While it's fine for holding light things above it like copter rotors, the
use in a train bogie is completely reversed, the heavy thing is above. For
that reason it shears off (comes disconnected) easily (in wrecks, when you
pick up a model, during assembly etc...)

I like trucks to stay on the cars during wrecks, it limits the excursions.

By having the 1x2 extensions molded integrally with the 2x2 tile part, you
can bury those extensions within the truck and you get the same adhesion as
you do with the bogie plate but with more flexibility.

In fact, I think in the Life on Mars sets, they actually take advantage
of the ability to bury it for more strength, which is good since the LOM
sets also have something heavier than a rotor. My guess is that it is
showing up in the helicopters because it's cheaper to just produce one
part, and does't really detract that much from the flexibility of the
set (i.e. the advantage of providing 2 or 3 separate parts vs. a single
part is outweighed by the cost of running two different moudling
machines).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com