 General / 2765
Re: Joe's LEGO Webpage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:40:05 GMT

Hi all.  Thanks for the responses!  I'll try to answer some of the
questions:

The B-17 doesn't have a nose gun or belly turret.  I didn't want to alter
the diver's bubble/nose piece (drilling) and I didn't have the right
pieces (not yet anyway) to represent the turret correctly.

As far as the trains go, I have a bunch more pictures to post.  There are
a lot of different train cars and several engines I want to show.  The
track layer is another model I have many pictures of.  The wheel on the
side pulls out and turning it lowers/raises the four outrigger feet for
stability.  I may try to show a little animation to demonstrate it in
action.  The crane can fold and retract to be able to negotiate corners
and tunnels.

For taking the pictures, I use a Richo RDC-2E digital camera.  It has
many great features I like, such as manual or auto focus, a color LCD,
and especially a macro feature that lets you get <1cm.  It also works
great in low light.  Believe it or not, most of the best pictures I took
were in very low light.  It displays a 'slow shutter' indicator and it
takes a little longer to take the shot, but the colors come out much
better for some reason.  It does not have a flash, but I've never needed
one with it.  Its about 1-1/2 to 2 years old now, so I assume there are
better ones available now.

I played around with PaintShopPro and the photo editor software that came
with the camera to modify the two train pictures at the very top of my
page.  I took a picture of my yard last September and added the grass in
the foreground of the BN engine by creating a mask and copying and
pasting the yard into the mask.  The sky was made by also creating a mask
and filling it with a two-toned flood fill.  The White Lightning train's
background was made with the same masking technique.  I only did three
pictures like that.  It was time consuming, but fun and I learned a lot
just playing around.  I'll post the original pictures someday along with
the masked images to show the process better.

The trestle is still a project in the making.  I only have parts for
about half so far.  I am in need of the Freestyle propellers from
Auczilla VIII to finish it up.  ;-)   I'll get some close-ups to show the
construction when I get it done.

I would love the Applicator companies to have promotional kits made of
their equipment.  Maybe it could be a series; one from each company.  Or
maybe a company could have a series of their own.  James Mathis's John
Deere tractor and my sprayer would be a good start for them!

For the town:  The larger images show much more detail of the town
buildings.  I'll get those thumbnails linked as soon as I can.

The ski slope chair lift is not automated, sorry to say.  I needed to use
up the space above my tunnel and the ski slope idea came to mind.  The
skiers had better stop quickly, or they will end up on the tracks!  Its a
shame the 'snow' has to be grey.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions or want other details.
Thanks again for the great responses!!  When I get the full size images
up,  I'll let you know.   Now back to my Super Tanker and Tugboat.  What
is the scale called that models like the Stenna Ferry is in?  Micro-fig??

Joe