 General / 2758
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 00:54:08 GMT

<snipped a bunch of stuff>

From the below.. you mention one thing I don't agree with...

<more snipped>

Kids may have more purchasing power than we do, but we are still valuable
customers.

I don't believe that to be true in the least.. if I had more purchasing
power than an adult.. I'd have a BSB and SES.. and 20 or 30 of each set
I wanted when I was a kid and didn't get them.  before a certain age,
your parents have all the purchasing power, and unless that set appeals
in more than one way, to the child AND to the parent, that child most
likely isn't going to get that set. Parents are the ones spending the
money, they are the ones keeping TLG in production <well besides us die
hards!> How many of us are going to buy town jr for our kids?  maybe one
or 2 sets, that hurts TLG right there. When kids have our old sets to
compare the new sets to, they don't like the new stuff either.  I
listened in on a convo at TRU with a mother and her son, he wanted a set
with lots of parts, both of them talking together realized that town jr
sucks the kid did kind of like one set, though didn't like the way it
was put together.  Needless to say, they both left empty handed, and I
saw them move down the aisle by the MB's and walk away with a set.

on another facet of this..

I have a friends son that is into lego, he's now 6 and has ADHD and
building lego sets is a therapy I do with him, it keeps him calm and
teaches him somewhat to keep on a task. I also did this with his older
brother who is now 15 off medication for the last 4 years. and on the
honor roll at school.  Building with these new sets isn't helping with
all the large pieces he can whip the set together in 5 mins. That
doesn't help a child to learn how to stay with a task. So you can be
sure I won't buy him anymore of those sets. That hurts TLG..

As you can see.. aiming ONLY at the kids isn't the full answer to having
a well rounded company. Parents have other reasons for buying a child a
toy, what can they learn? what else can they do with it? how long will
it last? will it keep their attention? and "Aunts" have other reasons :)
How much noise can the kid make with it to irriate the parents :)  how
many times can the kid say "Mom/Dad, come look at what I made!"

Ok.. I think I've been long winded enough here, before I get way off
this topic I'll shut up now and crawl back under my rock :)

Tamy