 General / 2721
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:37:39 GMT

Jeroen Ottens writes:

So far I have summarized your reactions in a couple of categories:
- Acknowledgement of the AFOL-community by the Lego group
- Rereleases of old sets
- Bulk piece ordering and/or better service packs
- Better set designs by Lego

To begin with the last:
Lego develops for kids, not for adults. Kids have developed as well through
the years. Old sets simply don't sell. If you ask for better sets, you ask
for bigger sets with smaller (unprinted) bricks for yourself. My question
is: Does Model Team fill that need (if only partial)? I mean is that a good
direction?
This question is more for my own curiousity and understanding, I can't
promised feedback from the Model Team team (see above).

Bulk piece ordering/better service packs are not be commented on by me.

Rerealese of old sets. I my opinion that is a setback. It would be better
to increase the appeal of new sets, than to rerelease old sets, but maybe
collectors don't agree with me on that one.

Acknowledgement of the AFOL community. I think this the pivotal point.
Without acknowledgement nothing will change. I will try to get that message
through within Lego. Of course I can't promise anything. Lego is just a
company that has to make profit and fact is that there are more kids
playing with Lego than adults.

If anyone has comments about these statements, please feel free to respond.

Happy building

Jeroen Ottens

Lego may develop for kids, not adults, but Lego still spent the time, money,
and other resources to make us Lego Maniacs when we were kids. It doesn't seem
to make much sense to give up on a valued customer just because they reach a
certain age. Lego develops for kids. Lego developed the old sets for us when we
were kids, so why not continue selling the old sets to us. The old sets may not
sell in the stores, but they would if they were at least availble through
Shop@Home. A smart business practice is to not turn your back on any customer,
no matter their age. As far as I can tell, Lego has nothing to gain and has
gained nothing by allowing old sets to become collector's items. Lego doesn't
make any money off the resale of legos, no matter how much profit the seller in
question makes.

Model Team: I personally don't collect technic or Model Team.

Appeal of new sets: I don't think there is anything wrong with the new sets. I
like and collect the Ninja and Adventurer themes. The new sets are great. But
the old sets have nostalgic and sentimental value to AFOL, and we're willing to
pay for that value, if Lego would just sell them to us.

Kids may have more purchasing power than we do, but we are still valuable
customers.

Thanks for listening...