 General / 2722
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:59:37 GMT

I am not sure if anybody has made this comment regarding bulk prices yet so
here goes. In order to make this worthwhile I think you have to look at the
auto part industry example. Car X retails for $Y. The part price for all
parts in Car X would price out at 3 times or even higher then retail price
$Y.

Returning to Lego, a bulk part service would still require minimum order
quantities to ensure that the profit center is sensible. The markup is
further justified by the fact that we all have an abundant supply of parts
like 1x1 plates with vertical clips.

Remembering of course who is taking part in this discussion, It has been
estimated at various times (please don't make me look through DejaNews to
find the posts) that the entire RTL community represents less than 1% of
worldwide sales. A bulk service should not affect set sales adversely.

Note also that a high mark-up would allow for a niche market of private
piece auctions where people would still be able to get one or a couple of
widgets. While I have never auctioned parts myself I guess I would be
curious as to how the parts from any given set add up in terms of winning
bids.

My naive opinions of course

John Battcock