 General / 2729
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:26:40 GMT

Jeroen Ottens writes:

To begin with the last:
Lego develops for kids, not for adults. Kids have developed as well through
the years. Old sets simply don't sell. If you ask for better sets, you ask
for bigger sets with smaller (unprinted) bricks for yourself. My question
is: Does Model Team fill that need (if only partial)? I mean is that a good
direction?
This question is more for my own curiousity and understanding, I can't
promised feedback from the Model Team team (see above).

I don't collect Model Team, so this does not help me. I am a Space/Town
junky so this would not be a good direction for me.

Bulk piece ordering/better service packs are not be commented on by me.

Rerealese of old sets. I my opinion that is a setback. It would be better
to increase the appeal of new sets, than to rerelease old sets, but maybe
collectors don't agree with me on that one.

I think it would be a good thing to re-release old sets, but I won't hold
my breath. I can't see the logistics of it and don't expect TLG to FIND the
logistics.

Acknowledgement of the AFOL community. I think this the pivotal point.
Without acknowledgement nothing will change. I will try to get that message
through within Lego. Of course I can't promise anything. Lego is just a
company that has to make profit and fact is that there are more kids
playing with Lego than adults.

Two comments here.

First, I think that LEGO cannot ignore the AFOL community. It is becoming
too large to ignore. Besides, what better marketing tool is there than
LUGNET, since most of use have been playing with LEGO for years (decades?)
and know what TLG is capable of producing vs. what it actually IS producing.

Second, who buys the LEGO for the kids? When buying LEGO products, many
people come to me, an AFOL. After all, I have been playing with LEGO for
20 years and should know SOMETHING about the product. I usually recommend
the more complex sets. Ones I know they will be able to use to build their
own creations out of later.

If anyone has comments about these statements, please feel free to respond.

Happy building

Jeroen Ottens

As a side note, I purchased a Technic set about 3 years ago and never got
around to putting it together. I decided that my 9 year old nephew might
benefit from it more than I, so I gave it to him after he scored an "A" on
his Science project. Several times while trying to put it together, he said
to me, "You do it. It's too hard." My response was, "Make it look like the
picture in the instructions." After about an hour, he was able to build it
himself with no intervention on my part. I was proud like an uncle should
be - until he put it down and went back to the Nintendo.

Duane Hess