 General / 2728
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 15:55:18 GMT

Hi Jeroen,

Jeroen Ottens wrote:

[snip]
To begin with the last:
Lego develops for kids, not for adults.
There is not that big a difference between kids and adults
as you or your market research department might think, IMHO.

Kids have developed as well through the years.
So what's that supposed to mean? The human race develops by thousands
of years. IMHO kids are pretty much the same.

Maybe I am getting you wrong, but if you think that comments
of AFOLs are only valuable concerning sales to adults
and LEGO pretty much knows best how to sell to kids, I think
you are mistaken. It's LEGOs right to be, but I still think
they would be.
Most AFOLs very clearly recall their ages when they were
fascinated from LEGO as a kid.
Many AFOLs are parents.

Old sets simply don't sell.
And newer sets obviously don't sell as expected either.

If you ask for better sets, you ask for bigger sets with smaller
(unprinted) bricks for yourself.
If AFOLs ask for better sets, they ask for better sets. Period.

Why do you think the standards of quality differ that
much between different ages of playing people?

[snip]
Acknowledgement of the AFOL community. I think this the pivotal point.
Acknowledgement can mean next to nothing.

Without acknowledgement nothing will change.
Without change nothing has been acknowledged.

I will try to get that message through within Lego.
Of course I can't promise anything.
Lego is just a company that has to make profit ...
That is fine with me.

... and fact is that
there are more kids playing with Lego than adults.
I don't subscribe to your bipartitioning of people.
If LEGO produces better sets for 'adults', my children will profit.
If LEGO produces better sets for 'kids', I will profit.

Just my 0.02 EURO.

Uwe
--
Uwe Ritzmann