 General / 26900
Re: Come on Lego...get with it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 14:39:58 GMT

In lugnet.town, Brendan Coughlin writes:
Hi everyone!

I am mainly a Town collector but I also collect other themes if they
interest me (which WAS Castle, Model Team, Technic, and some Space).  It
just really makes me sad to see where Lego has gone (aka: down the toilet).

Sounds a lot like me.  Its sad to see where Lego is going lately...1997 and
on have been pretty bad for those in Lego who design new sets...
the question that needs to be ask is why the concept of juniorization??
The concept that should be applied is that Lego is a family event....
ma and pa helping out the youngins' put together the sets, and if junior
doesn't want to put together the main model, he/she can make his own alternate
model.  Juniorization stifles creativity because only the main model can
really be made - I can vividly remember the back of all the old lego
boxes, seeing many, many alternate models on there....
the only benefit juniorization does is makes it much easier to put together
the main model....
I think the direction The Lego Group needs to go is to finally address its
market...it needs to realize that 90% of its market base is probably with
the F(ans) O(f) L(ego), not the kids - who are more into electronic
gaming.

It's 2001 and we haven't seen ANYTHING.  We all
keep getting shot down.

I agree, I look at my Shop at Home Catalogue and look at it with tears in
my eyes, when I see the sorry sets Lego is putting out....and then I look
at my Lego mini-catalogue from 2001 (and I start to have tears stream down)
....mini-catalogues which used to bring such cheer and delight, not to
mention an outright urge to buy....

If this is what we are to expect 10 years from now I don't want to have anything to do with Lego.

If the microsoft deal is any indication, we'll probably be joined to the
"collective" and our technology and "culture" will be merged with others for
the "greater good"....

In my opinion Lego hasn't put out anything productive in these past four >years (with the exception of Star Wars).  Lego had lost money for the first >time in COMPANY HISTORY in what was it, '98?  '99?  This is a complete no >brainer as to why this happened.

.....the wonderful world of juniorization....not!!! (as in not wonderful)

Sets from E V E R Y...S I N G L E... T H E M E...were successful ever since >the 80's to the mid 90's.  What is so tough about figuring out what the >problem is?  Nothing will ever compare to Town,
Castle, Space, Technic, Model Team, Trains, etc. back at this time.  These
sets were absolutely phenomenal back in the day.

My favorite year was 1994, when they brought out the hotrod club, serveillance
squad, fly n sail marina, century skyway and flame fighters....I liked the
hi-tech buildings they made and also how the piece count soared.

The only reason why Lego is losing money is all the specialty pieces they are
making...if they cut down on them, and used basic blocks to achieve the same
design, it would save a TON of money...
some would say modularization isn't that good - I heard some complaints about
it, but from a marketing stand-point, modularization is excellent....you
could choose to make a simple thing or something more complex with any given
number of similar sets..
For example the soccer stadium - by itself it makes a pretty decent toy (game)
when you add multiple copies of the grandstand, and lights, and the super-
sport coverage, you get a pretty nice replica of a stadium in any town.
This is what Lego should be doing...
Another example is Leo's Castle....you have this nice big castle (one of the
prettier castles in the Castle line - looking a lot like the one from
Fantasyland in Disneyworld), with a bunch of add-ons (the only problem
with this line, is too many King Leo's!!) but I think you get my drift.
I also really enjoyed buying the Hiway Construction, with its innovative
bridge design.....
so not everything is that bad, especially in 2000.  2001, on the other
hand........

Whenever I see My Own Creations (MOCs) Town vehicles I do NOT see those
stupid pieces with the lights and grille painted on them.  I see the actual
headlights and brakelights.  I see cars and trucks with actual roofs.  I see
chassis that you actually have to put together.  The wheels and axles are
actually ADD ON's...WOW!!!!!!  I don't even care if they make another police
station or fire station just as long as it isn't the garbage they are
designing today.

If the Town Lego Building Contest is any indication, Moc's have only been
getting better....I personally don't have the time at this moment to be
building :-( any MOC's, but I just love some of the latest postings:
the lego historical museum, Brick Bank HQ's to name a few of the larger
ones....

Hopefully we'll see some better sets come out...if not then I can have time
(and money) to finish collecting the sets I don't have and terribly want,
like the ones before 1990, when I didn't have a lot of money to buy them...