 General / 26910
Re: Come on Lego...get with it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:35:01 GMT

Hi there!

the question that needs to be ask is why the concept of juniorization??
The concept that should be applied is that Lego is a family event....
ma and pa helping out the youngins' put together the sets, and if junior
doesn't want to put together the main model, he/she can make his own alternate
model.  Juniorization stifles creativity because only the main model can
really be made - I can vividly remember the back of all the old lego
boxes, seeing many, many alternate models on there....
the only benefit juniorization does is makes it much easier to put together
the main model....
I think the direction The Lego Group needs to go is to finally address its
market...it needs to realize that 90% of its market base is probably with
the F(ans) O(f) L(ego), not the kids - who are more into electronic
gaming.

WOW!  Completely agree.  I hate bringing up the concept of juniorization but
it's really putting a damper on everything.  You're right...it's supposed to
be a family oriented Lego.  The Lego Company had said that the point of
juniorization is for "kids" who don't have a lot of time to build Legos.  So
that means they just trash the normal Town theme.  I personally build only
the main model.  That is the whole point of my Lego city.  I build only what
is on the box.  That's the point right?  But I can't incorporate a Super
Rescue Complex or the vehicles into my city because they look hideous.  90%
of its market IS based on fans of Lego.  I agree with Tim that Lego will
always be a kid related toy but again go to eBay.  The sets going for
auction from the 80's to mid 90's are basically collectors.  I don't know
many diehard collectors who are going out and buying the Town Jr. stuff.
The KIDS are buying this stuff...NOT fans of Lego.  People are realizing
what Lego is becoming and they want the nostalgia.  A MISB 6399 goes for
$300 - $500.  These are kids buying the sets...they're collectors (aka: Fans
of Lego).

It's 2001 and we haven't seen ANYTHING.  We all
keep getting shot down.

I agree, I look at my Shop at Home Catalogue and look at it with tears in
my eyes, when I see the sorry sets Lego is putting out....and then I look
at my Lego mini-catalogue from 2001 (and I start to have tears stream down)
....mini-catalogues which used to bring such cheer and delight, not to
mention an outright urge to buy....

I have not bought a set from the Lego Shop at Home catalog or a set from
Wal-Mart etc. in the past 4 years so I do not look at the catalogs.  I know
what to expect.  I don't get my hopes up anymore.  This idea of the
structure theme is rather impressive, yet, very spendy.
.

If the microsoft deal is any indication, we'll probably be joined to the
"collective" and our technology and "culture" will be merged with others for
the "greater good"....

I do not care for technology.  I don't care for the computer games,
mindstorms, and whatever else there is.  I LOVE building and admiring the
final product.  Then figuring out where to incorporate the building into my
city.  Then realizing that my city is too big so I get to start planning a
bigger city.  That's what Lego is all about...building and expanding.

The only reason why Lego is losing money is all the specialty pieces they are
making...if they cut down on them, and used basic blocks to achieve the same
design, it would save a TON of money...

They really didn't have to save money though back when the sets were good.
They were making a huge profit from all the sets.  What brought on this idea
of change?  It makes no sense to me why they would go from the top of the
toy chain to the quality of toy they are making today.

For example the soccer stadium - by itself it makes a pretty decent toy (game)
when you add multiple copies of the grandstand, and lights, and the super-
sport coverage, you get a pretty nice replica of a stadium in any town.
This is what Lego should be doing...

I admit that the Super Sport Coverage is a cool set.  I don't see any effect
of juniorization (except in the camera).  I can't say the same for the rest
of the soccer stuff.  I think it looks ridiculous.  Now look at the World
Cup soccer stuff.  Oh my Lord what phenomenal design.  Even the LITTLE
details of the mowed grass on the baseplates.  Amazing!  Now THAT'S a stadium!

Another example is Leo's Castle....you have this nice big castle (one of the
prettier castles in the Castle line - looking a lot like the one from
Fantasyland in Disneyworld), with a bunch of add-ons (the only problem
with this line, is too many King Leo's!!) but I think you get my drift.
I also really enjoyed buying the Hiway Construction, with its innovative
bridge design.....
so not everything is that bad, especially in 2000.  2001, on the other

Then you look at Dungeon Master's Castle, the huge castle before King Leo's,
King's Moutain Fortress, etc.  As for the Hiway Constructions, sure the
bridge design is interesting.  It is a neat idea.  However, look at the
vehicles.  There is no realism at all.  Is there any point in getting
excited for the future??

Brendan