 General / 26696
Re: Weekly What's This Part?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 21:58:50 GMT

Sean Harrington wrote:

In lugnet.general, Kevin Stephens writes:
Trans-Clear brick 2x4 champange tint with two metal holes on side for 4.5V
pins, no bottom. Inside has two flat holders & what looks like a fuse. Fuse
says 4.5V with other writing illegible.

Thought it was a train fuse, but saw a Lightbrick (set #245) on eBay. Does
anyone have that lightbrick? Does the filament look like an old straight
glass fuse? Or is there a 4.5V set (probably train) with a clear fuse brick?
I'm not brave enough to plug it in & see what happens, although the filament
looks intact.

I got it in a 4.5V lot (one train set dated 1967) that included some CA • bricks.

Pic available via email.

Thanks,
Kevin

Yep, it sounds like a vintage light brick. Check out DK's The Ultimate LEGO
Book towards the front where the timeline starts. Somewhere in the 1960's
you'll see a picture of the light brick. You've described it exactly.

- Sean

If that brick has a "ruffled" look to the 4 "wall" brick surface (can't remember
if the texture is on the inside or outside) then it indeed is a #245.  I have
this set from the first year it came out (1957), and yes it has a small bulb that
looks like a fuse, but looks more like a small white christmas light (of the
"twinkle" variety).  This set was made from 1957 to 1965 as #245.  Then in
1966-68 it came out under the new number #485 (and # 486 was the number for
replacement lamps).  In 1969, it came out again under a new number - #985 (but no
replacement lamps).  By 1970, it was replaced with a more modern lamp set totally
different from this one.

Gary Istok