 General / 2624
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:48:19 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote in message <36c8a217.6212706@lugnet.com>...

And why would having a few thousand of, say, any particular part stop
the sale of sets?

Because presently, if you want a thousand of a particular piece the only way
to get them is to buy umteen sets (4x2 bricks etc excluded).

Donning my devil's advocate hat again for a moment:
If I were TLG, why in my right mind would I want to supply bulk pieces when
those daft folks at Lugnet/RTL are prepared to pay for a box of bits they
don't
need in addition to those that they do.  A better plan would be to increase
the "dross" (say a few Timmy's and 100 gearsticks & visors!) in the boxes
which have the most sought after pieces.  I can see it now....Time Twisters
Silver Brick Special Edition, Town Jr with 2 Black roof tiles in each set!
(Hey Jeroen, this could lead to that promotion you always wanted).

I think we should face up to the fact that there is NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER
that Lego will ever sell anything directly to this or any other fan group.
For sets there is already S@H.  As far as bulk pieces are concerned, they
may well produce something, but I'd bet if it ever happens it will be in the
form of a bucket available through the usual retail channel.  The best we
can realistically hope for is a "thank you for your valued suggestions" type
of response from the public relations department.

I think the important thing to remember is that we are but a pimple on the
bottom of the global market for Lego products.  I suspect that TLG are
really only looking for ideas that they can use to their own benefit i.e.
free market research.

I should mention that I don't have any axe to grind with TLG, even though
they did decline to give me a retail account for my web based business :)
Nor do I want to pour cold water over the hopes and aspirations of the more
excitable RTL'ers, I just think that somebody has to be
realistic/pessimistic to add balance to the discussion before we all get
carried away with ourselves and suffer unnecessary
disappointment/disillusion.  As the owner of a computer aided design
consultancy business holding a dealership for Autodesk software (4th largest
software company in the world) and a franchise with Hewlett-Packard, I have
a fair understanding of the psyche of global companies from both the
end-user and dealer/distributor perspectives.

Cheers
[SteveScott]

Unfortunately I missed out on the bulk of the discussion yesterday.
US/UK time difference is frustrating :(