 General / 25989
25988  |  25990
Subject:
mini-review of Legoland
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 22:30:51 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi, Ashley :-) and others:

I went to Legoland CA the week before Christmas and I had a few
observations to make.  We were a party of 5: two old folks,
two parents, and one 5-year-old kid.

* Part of what got us to go when we did was Ashley's
  post about the special events.  "Now's as good a time
  as any, and I've been wanting to go for awhile," I said
  to myself.  And I'm glad we did.

* Admission price was very reasonable.  After AAA discount
  it was $27.20 per adult.  (Regular admission to Disneyland
  is $43.)  Unlike Disneyland, the Legoland 2-day pass is
  only about $8 more than the 1-day.

* The park was not crowded.  The longest wait for a ride
  was on the XXX ride (I forgot the name) which was 15 minutes.
  No other wait was longer than 5 minutes.
  (When I got back, I read that Disneyland had to close
  their gates two times that week, due to overcrowding.
  I am *so* glad we didn't go there.  2 hr wait for a
  2 minute ride?  No thanks!)  No gangs at Legoland, either.

* Everything was clean and low-key.
  Unlike previous theme park visits, I did not leave
  exhausted and dirty.  I suppose it might be different
  in the Summer.

* The Breakfast with Mrs. Claus was a nice event.
  Whoever thought of that special event and whoever
  implemented it are doing a good job.
  The food and service were good, price was reasonable,
  Mrs. Claus was nice, and the gift box set was nicely
  designed and reasonably priced.  A great start to
  the day.

* The build-your-own-ornament looked barely OK.
  We skipped that.  Mainly because when we passed by
  (3 times) all I saw was plain bricks.  It would
  have been impossible to make the ornaments featured
  in the display case.  No orange bricks in sight, either.
  Ashley, if you tell us there's going to be cool
  bricks there you should tell them to put cool bricks
  there!

* I wish the park opened a little earlier.  In winter
  when it gets dark early, it would be nice to start
  at 9:00 instead of 10:00.  Especially for breakfast.
  We were pretty hungry by 10:00.

* Lots of low-key attractions for the whole family.
  Hands-on stuff that you can do for hours.
  We *really* wish we had reserved 2 days for it and
  the next time we go it will be for 2 days.
  I'm advising my coworkers with kids who are planning
  to go: budget 2 days for it.

* Awesome deals at the big shop.  People posted about
  some of these recently but nobody yet mentioned the
  6766 Rapid River Village for $10 (we got 10 of those).

* My biggest complaint: no reasonable restaurant for dinner
  inside the park.  Here's the problem: it got dark around 5:30.
  You can go on some rides in the dark, but that gets old fast.
  Fireworks were at 7:00pm.  It makes perfect sense to have
  dinner from 6 to 7.  We asked some vendors around miniland
  but nobody knew anything.  So we went on some more rides.
  Then at one of the shops near the Dragon ride we heard
  another family asking the shopkeeper where dinner could be
  had.  No ideas there, either.  Hmm.  It wasn't even that
  easy to find a reasonable restaurant after we left the
  park at 7:30, since the park seems to be in the middle
  of a sprawling office park.  We ended up eating at
  a pseudo-Chinese food restaurant near our hotel in
  Oceanside.

That's it!
/Eric McCarthy/