 LEGOLAND / California / 180
Re: mini-review of Legoland
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 00:57:15 GMT

Yes - the AAA discount is great.  Did you know that you could use it inside
the park when you buy legos?  But, if there is one sale item in your items -
you loose the discount alltogether.  just make 2 sets of purchases - one all
sale items and the other non-sale items, as long as the non-sale items are
over $10 you are set. I never thought to try it on the food.  I sure could
have used it when the lady told me my total was over $20 (It was just me and
my son - he got the kids meal, I got the BBQ chicken and we shared a roll
and a cup of fruit.  I also got the big plastic cup - all this for over $20,
arg!).

The crowds at legoland are very small, even during the peak times it does
not seem that bad - all the lines move really fast.  And legoland is very
clean - I wish Sea World was that clean (I work there - trust me).  I hate
going to disneyland, the last time we went was the last day for the Main
Street Electric Parade, it was VERY full.  We waited in line over 3 hours to
go on its a small world.  And we also waited in line for 2 1/2 hours to see
winnie the pooh and tigger.  It will be a very long time before I go back
there.  And Sea World - unless you LOVE fish - skip it!!

I wish I could speak on the breakfast with Mrs. Clause, oh well :(

The build your own ornament was ok, I passed on it at first also, but when I
went back I saw tons of orange bricks, and after some digging I found lots
and lots of light pink plates - so I did the exact opposite of what it was
meant for, my ornament was a big orange block covered with pink plates - why
would I pay $5 for red, green, and white plates and make some small ornament
when I could do this at home for free?  My son and I were the only people
there, so I did not have to worry about getting in anybodys way.  But I was
somewhat turned off by their displays - that they did not have the parts to
- and even if they did, there was no way they would fit into the box they
supplied you.  So I got bricks and plates there was no way I would be able
to get any other way - and was VERY happy :)

And yes, after the park gets dark you almost need a flashlight to get
around.  The really need more lights in that place.  I was at the build your
own ornament when it was getting dark, and they had NO lights for it in ANY
WAY - not good planning if you ask me.  The poor girl was really in the dark
there.  The same goes for the rides, they make no real attempt to light them
so you can really appreciate what you are seeing.

It is a very good park for the family - lego fans or not.  Of all the theme
parks I have been to, this is by far the most hands on.

They always have awesome sales there.   This time was the best sales I have
ever seen there.  I now have a full army of Samurai Swordsmen with horses,
all for 99 cents a pop.  By the time I got there, most of the big sets were
gone - but I like small sets better anyway.

As far as dinner inside the park - skip that, spend the money on legos, lol.
There are tons of good restaurants around.  There is a Karl Strauss brewery
restaurant in that office park you have to pass on the way (but that is not
really a kids place - but it is VERY good).  There is also an 'Islands'
restaurant about one exit south.  The 'Islands' is a great family
hawian-style hamburger joint, and their fries are the best!  There is also a
Claim jumper (a good place with HUGE servings for cheaper than most place)
and  a TGIFridays within a few exits south of Legoland - all can be seen
from the freeway - just go south for a few exits and if you are still lost -
ask somebody outside the park.  I know this does you no good now, but maybe
next time it will (just remember "south")