 General / 25636
Re: Got some new news on Enfield Plant closing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 22:03:19 GMT

As Kevin L also noted, AFAIK, the bricks molded in the US were only destined for
the Americas.

Mike Petrucelli wrote:

In lugnet.lego, Tom Stangl writes:
I still fail to see how this will save them money, unless:
   1 - having the extra sets of molds/machines is killing production costs
   2 - the raw ABS is ONLY available from Europe.

I can't see how molding the bricks overseas and shipping them to the US will • be
cheaper than molding them here UNLESS the raw ABS is only available overseas • and
they are currently shipping it HERE to be molded.  Even then, the shipping • costs
will be GREATLY increased, as molded bricks take up MUCH more volume than raw
pellets.

This seems glaringly obvious to me but apparently is eluding many.  It is
probably cheaper to ship molded parts to the US then to ship molded parts to
Europe.  If the plant in Enfield was shipping more to Europe than it was
usising domestically then the move makes complete and total sense.

-Lord Insanity

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/