 General / 25302
25301  |  25303
Subject:
Newer version of "lego geek code"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:04:21 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Steve Bliss writes:
For a period of about a half hour I thought about making a generator and
interpreter for the geek code before some other thought occurred to me... I
forget what now. Probably the same thing happened to that thought. But it
would be kinda cool to have somewhere... But I'm sure you could add new
stuff to it too-- there are bunches of new themes and questions that I'm
sure would be cool to list. 'Course I'd encourage anyone doing that to talk
to the creators of said code before doing it... or at least letting them >>know...

That'd be kinda cool on the web interface .....

Ok, now I've got two strikes against me. I went ahead and made my own
new-ish version of the LGC WITHOUT talking to Derek (et all?) first. Strike
one. Strike two is that I made an INTERPRETER and a DESCRIPTION of my new
version of the LGC, but haven't finished the actual GENERATOR (which would
be the most USEFUL part of course) yet.

Actually, javascript compatibility nightmares scared me off for the moment
(modifying SELECT lists on the fly in javascript didn't appear to be
compatible in Netscape 4.05 [or maybe not? FUT .geek if you know better or
can inform me how]). As soon as I either figure out how to do it right or
come up with a nice, clean method (rating all those subthemes, etc. in a
straight form would be way too long), I'll finish it up.

But for now, the basic info:
http://www.suave.net/~dave/lgc.cgi
And the interpreter:
http://www.suave.net/~dave/lgc.cgi?func=translate
(The interpreter doesn't yet parse @ signs or > signs correctly-- everything
else should work)

I think I'll humbly go bother Derek about it and see if I can't get one of
those strikes removed...

DaveE