 General / 2530
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:43:36 GMT

Jeroen Ottens wrote:

Hi everybody,

My name is Jeroen Ottens. I work at Lego Futura Technic Billund (the
development department of Lego as you will probably know).
Yes I am one of TLG

I am very excited about the possibility of Lego sponsoring special
interest clubs made up of adult Lego enthusiasts.  I believe that the
Lego Group would be making a wise investment of their resources by
listening and encouraging a large fan base such is found here on LUGNET
and on the usenet group rec.toys.lego

<snip>
What could Lego do to help you?

There are lots of activities, services and products that the Lego Group
could sponsor that would make such clubs a success.  Here are a few
ideas that have been discussed by our community in the past:

* Custom Bulk Bricks Orders

Most people on this group enjoy building elaborate projects out of Lego
but simply cannot find good sources for the Lego parts to make their
designs as grand as they would like them to be.  If Lego would allow
club members to purchase specific types and quantities of Lego bricks, I
think nearly everyone would utilize the service.  Even starting a
service like this with only a few basic part types (for instance:
bricks, plates, architectural elements and a few specialized pieces)
would be wildly successful.

* Greater Variety of Parts Packs

Failing a completely customizable bulk brick ordering service, Lego
could sell a greater variety of parts packs to club members.  Parts
packs that have been discussed on this group and would be popular
include a large variety (in both shape and color) of windows and doors,
plates in all available colors, train parts packs such as train windows
and doors, architectural elements such as arches and a variety of
rounded bricks.

* Recognition of Members' Creations

Lego could produce a magazine or book showcasing the creations of club
members.  The magazine could also offer building tips from master
builders and be sort of an adult version of the Lego Mania magazine Lego
currently publishes in the U.S.  I bet a lot of members of this
community would subscribe to such a magazine.

* Re-issue of classic Lego sets

As well as building original creations, a lot of members of this online
community collect Lego sets.  Certain people have a favorite era of Lego
set designs, such as the early 80s sets, train sets, 70s pre-minifig
Lego sets, etc.  If Lego were to reissue some of the classic sets in
each range a lot of club members would buy them.

* Lego sponsored Events

Lego could sponsor regional events in proximity to club members' homes
that would allow members to meet each other, trade sets, ideas for
building, etc.

* Official Correspondence

The Lego Group could do a lot to bolster fan enthusiasm by simply
publicly acknowledging the existence of groups such as LUGNET and
rec.toys.lego and periodically participating in some of the discussions
that take place in these venues.

Would an official Lego certificate give extra value, even if it would mean
that you would loose some of your freedom (Lego has to protect his/her
image)?

I could agree to a set of terms and conditions in exchange for special
services.  For instance, if Lego supplied bulk bricks and asked that
certain creations that did not meet their guidelines not be displayed
publicly, I would agree to this.  However, I think the Lego Group should
appreciate and encourage artistic expression of all kinds and not limit
the use of their product.  Censorship does far more harm to the company
than any one "offensive" work banned by the company.

<snip>

I'd like to stress the point that this is still an investigation. It's not
sure yet that this idea about lego clubs will happen.

Happy building,

Jeroen Ottens

I appreciate your message and hope the views of members of this group
will be taken into consideration.

<snip>

--
Thomas Main