 General / 2534
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 05:13:47 GMT

Thomas Main <main@appstate.edu> wrote:
* Custom Bulk Bricks Orders

Most people on this group enjoy building elaborate projects out of Lego
but simply cannot find good sources for the Lego parts to make their
designs as grand as they would like them to be.  If Lego would allow
club members to purchase specific types and quantities of Lego bricks, I
think nearly everyone would utilize the service.  Even starting a
service like this with only a few basic part types (for instance:
bricks, plates, architectural elements and a few specialized pieces)
would be wildly successful.

You know, if they did this and coordinated it right so that the GROUP
itself made a bulk purchase I think they could easily justify it
costwise and effortwise.  Can you imagine how many train doors and
windows all of the trainheads here and on RTL would purchase?  Or the
special town windows that you guys like?  Or pitchforks or female
minifig torsos/dresses in various colors?  Hair of various styles?

I doubt our new friend could ever divulge exact numbers that it would
take to make an order "doable" but I'd say that for a great many
sought after parts that a group bulk purchase plan could succeed for
everyone involved.

Say the group has a treasurer or something and he/she coordinates the
gathering of the money.  Then when the magic number has been reached
he places the order with TLG.  Rather than having to fill orders with
hundreds, maybe thousands of individuals, TLG ships the parts in bulk
to one person who distributes them.  That person could be compensated
either monetarily by the group or by each member agreeing to slightly
"overpay" so that some number of each bulk order would be set aside
for the person doing the sorting and shipping.

Just rambling here...

* Recognition of Members' Creations

Lego could produce a magazine or book showcasing the creations of club
members.  The magazine could also offer building tips from master
builders and be sort of an adult version of the Lego Mania magazine Lego
currently publishes in the U.S.  I bet a lot of members of this
community would subscribe to such a magazine.

I know I would.

* Re-issue of classic Lego sets

As well as building original creations, a lot of members of this online
community collect Lego sets.  Certain people have a favorite era of Lego
set designs, such as the early 80s sets, train sets, 70s pre-minifig
Lego sets, etc.  If Lego were to reissue some of the classic sets in
each range a lot of club members would buy them.

I'd buy tons of these as well, even at full price.  I passed on 6089
until I saw it on 55% off clearance, then I only bought one.  Don't
know how the profit TLG makes on that was affected, but something
tells me that if they rereleased a "limited edition rerelease" of say
6071 as a S@H exclusive at $30 and I bought 50 of them they'd make
more money.  :)

'Course, if they did the group bulk orders mentioned above and offered
the forest wench as an option I'd just buy a few hundred of those and
be happy.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - Meet more LEGO fans in your area through LUGNET