 General / 25069
25068  |  25070
Subject:
Wishful Thinking of AFOL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 21:02:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Sorry to sound negative, but everyone seems to be letting their imaginations
run away with themselves in this threads regarding this lego statement

"In 2002 LEGO builders will be able to build any three dimensional
creation using free software to create building instructions for their
model - and then order the appropriate number and type of bricks."

Especially the word 'any' which seems to be being interpreted by some to
mean every brick ever made in every possible colour.

I just think its some marketing statement where the author hasnt really give
much thought to how an AFOL might interpret the word. I think it means "any,
within the range of x bricks that are modelled in this CAD package" - and x
could be a very small number.

Then some folks seem to think you have to send Lego the design of your
model. Where did you read that?
To me it just says send them a list of bricks.

And if as some folks are suggesting you dont actually have to produce a
model, just send them the list, well they and you could do that today. You
wouldnt need to wait till 2002.
And theres the problem. If Lego were willing to sell 'any' brick why wouldnt
they do it now? they have had bulk brick ordering in place for some months.
Why wait for some software?

Sorry, but its all just wishful thinking.
I would love it to be true too.
But I cant help thinking I will be as disappointed then as I am now with the
range of bulk bricks on offer

regards
lawrence