 General / 2408
Re: This is why TLG lost money
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 18:58:51 GMT

Lego needs to change the way it sells sets.  Theme collectors(like me with
castle sets)  I begin to drool everytime someone offers older sets for sale.
And I always seem to miss them.  I called England and Germany about limited
production runs.  If lego re-releases older sets  ( no R&D involved just dust
off the production istructions)  and offers all sets in all areas, they could
take advantage of a demand.

The black falocn fortress which retailed for 35.00 can easily fetch over 100.00

A special classic castles line would be a big winner.

John VanZwieten writes:
This message is from a good friend who is considering what to buy for her 6
yr. old son, whom I have been introducing to Lego:

----------
Walked all over Toys R Us last night. You are going to need to work on me
more.  I was very interested in this moving cars and truck building kit by
MegaBlocks.  It was a perfect price and offered many options.
Legos-  There was too many lego products to choose from.  I'm still not
sure what to go with.  I'll have to check out the catalog when it gets here.
:}

Why can't Lego come up with a sets which don't contain dopey pieces like
"Freestyle" (who is that name supposed to appeal to anyway, the 7 yr. old
snowskiing set?) but allow a kid to build a variety of interesting vehicles or
buildings--and come with some instructions for doing so?

I've pointed her to Lego Dacta, but I fear those sets will be a bit out of her
price range.  So she'll probably end up buying the MBs and get inferior bricks
but a superior set.  (I'll, of course, still get him the real thing.)

Sorry for my rant, maybe should have gone in the open letters group.

-John Van