 General / 23562
Re: Specs on Steve S. LEGO Studio wanted...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 19:20:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jason Rowoldt writes:
Hey everyone,

I'm going to pick up the new Studios set but before I blow that $180, I wanted
to know if anyone else has it and could answer some questions.

1. What output is the movie in? Is it a proprietary format, or can you output
it to be a .mpeg or .avi file?  If so, what resolution/size can you run
it/create it at?

2. What format are the sound input files? Can you use .wav or .mpg files?

3. What format are the music input files?

4. What are some of the special effects (not transitions).  Can you edit frame
by frame to create, say, an explosion or a laser bolt?

5. How much does the camera weigh? Could it be mounted on a Lego crane to do
pan/zoom or helicopter style shots?

That's it.  My home computer is down right now or I would have made an impulse
buy by now.  But now that I have time to think about it, I wanted to see if it
was an open architecture . . . i.e. supported different input and output
formats.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Well I have it Jason, and I have finally gotten it loaded on my computer. (I
had to switch from Win 2000 to Windows ME). But I haven't had time this week
to use it yet. I can check tonight when I get home, or tomorrow.
Fact 1) Apple Quicktime comes on the CD.
Fact 2) The sample movies on the CD (and the web site for that matter) are
in a .mov format for playback in Quicktime.  What I do not know is the
format of the individual frames and if you can add "digital effects" into
frames. I would hope so.  The CD does come with sample sound and music files
you can integrate into the movie. I will check the format of these.

You can edit frame by frame, changing the order of frames, moving whole
sections, etc. You can make your movies in either a real-time recording mode
or in a stop-motion mode where you take one frame shot at a time.

The camera itself is very light. It has a manual focus ring (though without
any distance markers like you would see on an TTL 35mm camera). There is a
microphone built in to the camera. You can turn the sound record volume to
zero if you just want to record video and add sound yourself later.

Fact 3) it can be mounted on anything you can build wih LEGOS from the top,
side, or bottom.

Fact 4) The reason it is so light is that it is attached to a 15 foot USB
cable that must remain plugged in the computer at all time while recording.

Fact 5) The lens is a fixed focal length.  It has no zoom capabilities,
though this could possibly be done in the software by cropping and
increasing image size.

I will try to answer more of your technical questions later.  You can also
try calling the LEGO Media tech support number. I think they could answer
most of your questions about file format etc.

BEN GATRELLE
(remove the spam dot from the yellowcastle to reply)