 General / 21856
Re: New Brickshelf Feature: Polls!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 21:26:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jennifer L. Boger writes:
Last night I whipped up another C/mySQL program to do polls.
The first experimental poll is on the brickshelf home page:

http//www.brickshelf.com/

It uses cookies to keep people from accidentially stuffing
the ballot box, but it would be trivial to defeat if anyone really
wanted to.  These polls are obviously not scientific :)

cool... though.. umm.. can't i just have all my machines stuff the ballot
box? :)  Also, you need an "other" in that first poll there :)

I'm not as concerned with people intentionally stuffing the box as making
shure people don't accidentially do it (like reloading a bunch of times).

The polls are after all for fun, not science :)

btw, to vote you need a ballot cookie set.  I was trying to do this from the
home page via HTTP EQUIV.  Only netscape < 6 supports HTTP EQUIV cookies.
I guess I'll need to make a wrapper for the home page that sets the cookie.
What's the best way to set DefaultIndex to an executable for just / and
leave everything else set to index.html?

In the mean time, IE and Mozilla/NS6 users can view results to get your
ballott cookie and then go back and vote.

KL