 General / 20332
Re: Great garage sale deal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:40:01 GMT

Timothy Jones wrote:

Anybody else want to share their great Lego garage sale deals?

Here's one from this year.  A couple of months ago I paid $15.00 for over six
pounds of LEGO.  When I was going through the stuff at home, I noticed that it was
in great shape (some inner bags had never been opened!) but considering what was
in the lot, things like baseplates were noticeably absent and several of the
minfigs heads were missing.  I kept bugging my NLSO, saying things like, "I know
that kid has more pieces, I wonder if I should knock on their door and ask them to
look for them," but, of course I never did.  Then a few weeks ago I recognized
their address again in the garage sale listings.  I went over there and didn't see
any LEGO so I explained the situation and asked the kid if he happened to come
across any baseplates.  He ran into the house and came out a few minutes later
with another bucket (5 1/4 lbs) of pieces in excellent shape.  He and his mom
decided $3.00 was a good price.  As I was leaving the dad came out and got wind of
what was going on.  He knew what a great deal I was getting, and I suspect he was
a closet AFOL who had gotten all this good stuff for his kid who, sadly, wasn't
interested.  When I got the bucket home I found the stash of minifig heads, but
the kid is still holding out on the baseplates!

And prior finds that come to mind:
6542 Launch & Load Seaport in box for $9.00 (missing truck and forklift)
4563 Load & Haul RR for $30.00 (missing hand truck and motorcycle)

And my NLSO found four of those HO scale LEGO vehicles when he and the boys were
going through a pile of Hot Wheels-- a VW bus, two VW pickup like buses, and an
Opel Kadett.  They got that and about six Hot Wheels for two dollars.

Maggie C.