 General / 20137
Re: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:09:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Christopher L. Weeks writes:

The cartoon basically simulates cockfighting, which is an image that I would
prefer not to idealize for the kids.

  Yeah! Just this weekend cops in my town broke up three preschool
cockfighting rings, so your concerns are well justified. In addition, some
local kids induced a coyote to chase a road runner off a cliff, while a rabbit
was seen to thump a puma mercilessly on the head with a mallet after a request
for "a whole lotta lumps."
  I understand what you're saying, in that a portrayal of man-forced animal
brutality isn't the best image to glorify for kids, but if my kid wants to
blast a yellow, fire-breathing lizard, I say more power to him.  I reject the
notion that a healthy, well-adjusted child will equate a cartoon rendition of
an animal with the real thing, and any child who fails to make that
distinction should be under closer parental supervision.

     Dave!