 General / 20141
Re: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:25:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.general, Christopher L. Weeks writes:

The cartoon basically simulates cockfighting, which is an image that I would
prefer not to idealize for the kids.

Yeah! Just this weekend cops in my town broke up three preschool
cockfighting rings, so your concerns are well justified.

Well, there you have it.

In addition, some
local kids induced a coyote to chase a road runner off a cliff, while a rabbit
was seen to thump a puma mercilessly on the head with a mallet after a request
for "a whole lotta lumps."

I am almost as uncomfortable with those icons as I am with Pokemon.  I suspect
that in those cases, children run the risk of identifying with the critters and
behaving more violently than they might otherwise.  That is somewhat more and
somewhat less worrisome than the idea that they might take away the idea that
fighting animls against one another is healthy.

I understand what you're saying, in that a portrayal of man-forced animal
brutality isn't the best image to glorify for kids,

Good.  At least we're on the same moral page, even if we disagree as to what
the possible consequences of overexposure to entertainment media is.

but if my kid wants to blast a yellow, fire-breathing lizard,
I say more power to him.

And if it's a yellow pit bull instead?

I reject the
notion that a healthy, well-adjusted child will equate a cartoon rendition of
an animal with the real thing, and any child who fails to make that
distinction should be under closer parental supervision.

I don't think your average four year old is going to watch Pokemon once and
immediately generalize the idea to fluffy and rex.  What I do think is
possible, is that the paradigm of fighting creatures will gain popularity with
the target generation.  I find it somewhat troubling.  I'm not out raging
against Pokemon, if I were to do that, I would do so against Jerry Springer
instead (who is a real threat).

Chris