 General / 19882
Re: Hagrid minifig in Harry Potter Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:15:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bradley Dale writes:
In the Harry Potter book, Hagrid is described as being twice the height of a
regular man, and five times as wide.  In minifig scale, he is the size and
shape of a rock monster.

Ah but arn't Minifigs already 2 or 3 times as wide as an average person (at
scale of course).  Sometimes I laugh at discussions about scale using LEGO.
Mainly because most scale discussions start with a Minifig and working from
their.  To me that makes it a flawed discussion from the start because Minifigs
themselves are not to scale with an average human.

To me Minifig scale is a purely fictional scale in itself.  Most modern LEGO
vehicles can only hold 1 fig across where there real life counterparts to those
vehicles usually hold at least 2 people across.  Thats when you talk about
cars.  Don't even get me started with airplanes.

As far as Hagrid goes I don't know him or his importance to Harry Potter as I
have not read the books.  If he/she/it is important enough to the storyline
that TLC thinks they have to do it then my guess is that it will be a special
mold for the character like the Rock Monster although I doubt it will be 2xH
and 5xW to a Minifig.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/