 General / 19881
Re: My Lego Theroy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:10:55 GMT

John Radtke wrote:
Specialty parts have been all over the map for upwards of 15 years (so how is
this juniorization trend recent?).  It was always my impression that this
trend for special parts really took off when the clone market exploded and
parents could buy your 'basic brick' much cheaper elsewhere.

Actually, specialty parts have been around for more than 30 years ago. I
remember these cool blue pieces which came in three styles, a 1x16
straight piece, and two different curves. The curved pieces when
connected with white 2x8 plates in pairs of the trwo types just happened
to form two concentric circles spaced the right width for those funny
flanged wheels stuck into the ends of the 2x4 bricks with axle holes.

As a child I never really figured out much else to do with these pieces,
though I have now seen a variety of clever uses.

Had I had more of these special pieces, and some of the later even more
specialized pieces (like the 2x18 straight piece with two stips of
metal, and the curved piece which was midway in radius between the two
earlier curved pieces, also with 2 metal strips, and the special motor
which happened to have contacts to contact these metal strips, along
with a power pack with wires which connected these metal strips to
power, I might just have never entered my dark ages.

Of course even older were those red pieces which formed a rim around a
sheet of transparent plastic, allowing it to be stuck into a brick wall
to make things which looked a lot like doors and windows. Of course
those pieces also didn't have many other uses (I also never saw a color
other than red until last year).

If LEGO was just generic non specialty pieces (rectangular bricks)
today, even if it included the specialty pieces we had from the start of
our childhood LEGO collection (doors, windows, macaroni bricks, slopes
[no peaks or corners] and a few plates), I would not be writing this
note today (though if I saw the various creations the TLC modelers make
from just plain bricks, I'd certainly admire them).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com