 General / 19879
Re: My Lego Theroy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:50:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Walker writes:
ive been thinking about why lego has been trying to jonuorize everything so
this is what i can up with

A lot of people seem to go on about this perceived 'juniorization' but I'm not
sure I get it.  What are people's truly objective arguments about this?  By
objective I don't mean bemoaning that "things aren't what they used to be" but
a trend that can be proven to be detrimental to TLG's bottom line.

1: lego is trying to make lego at it's aimed age (4-12) and older lego sets
have more appeal to older people that have been using lego most of their
lives.

This is why I said 'perceived' juniorization.  All my Lego sets say 8-12 or
thereabouts.  If I don't like it that just means what appeals to the 12 and
under crowd now is not what appealed to me 15-25 years ago.  Lego is making
more money than I am so I don't feel qualified to say their marketing
department does not know what today's 12 and under crowd wants.

2: lego is running out of really good ideas that do not require 'Specalty
Parts' eg. normal bricks

Specialty parts have been all over the map for upwards of 15 years (so how is
this juniorization trend recent?).  It was always my impression that this
trend for special parts really took off when the clone market exploded and
parents could buy your 'basic brick' much cheaper elsewhere.

3: lego is loosing appeal to the younger generation so it thinks that 'cool'
pecies will draw them in. eg. crystals, rubys, skeletons etc.

Loosing appeal or working constantly to maintain it?  1) I would have gotten a
real kick out of crystals and skeletons 20 years ago already.  2) Toy trends
are so flash in the pan these days that things have to be changed constantly
to maintain interest and sales.  I'd also like to see sets and themes that
appeal to me stick around more than 1-2 years.  But I grew up in the days when
we only got (for example) a dozen new Star Wars figures every year rather than
being able buy the whole collection before the movie opens and get them all on
clearance just a year later.

this is only a theroy based on what i belive is true
i could be completely wrong

-James Walker

I could be completely off base too but I cannot convince myself to criticize
TLG and its product line from my 30+ year old point of view.  I firmly believe
that I am enjoying with a toy designed for children, and designed by people
who are emminently sucessful at their job of knowing what children want today
(as well as when I was in their biggest target market).

Does anyone know, in some concrete numbers, just what estimated portion of
Lego sales end up in AFOL collections?  I'm assuming it's pretty minimal but
again I may mistaken.

John