 General / 19398
Re: Storing bricks at low temperatures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:39:52 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:FwrBKH.5yD@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Selçuk Göre writes:

Enameled steel is passed away long ago, as a refrigerator material.
Injection molded plastic (and yes, ABS) is the one mostly used today.
Believe me, the company that ý wok for supplies parts to home appliances
industry, and refrigeration system parts are our specialty..:-)

This may be one place where the US is behind the rest of the world. Most • large
appliances in the US are indeed made of enameled steel at least on the • outside.
That includes washers, dryers, refrigerators, ranges, and to a lesser • extent,
dishwashers. It isn't until you get to the high end of the range or go to • an
"imported"  brand (Bosch, an "imported" brand is actually made in NC I • think)
that you see other materials used.

Yes, and I think I know why.  It's a lot easier to pressform steel into
whatever shape you want, and is seen as recyclable as well.  It therefore
makes sound economic sense to make things out of steel instead of plastic.

While you can recycle plastic, I think there are certain limitations
inherent in the recycling of it, and there would be some wastage as well.
I'm no expert but odds are that steel is a lot easier to rework and reform
than plastic is.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde