 General / 17550
Re: Famous LEGO Collectors..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 15:22:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:

Richard Franks <spontificus@yahoo.com> wrote in article
<FtH3Ds.4qx@lugnet.com>...

Just heard part of a radio interview (Radio 1, UK) interview with
'Hanson' - annoying Aussie kid-band... "Mmm-bop" etc?

If you mean the brother band who did MMMBop, then don't blame the Aussie's.
Those fellas are 100% pure Americana, hailing from the great state of
Oklahoma.  :)

Ooops! Maybe I was thinking of the Bee-Gees? :) Actually, I'm probably happier
not knowing that much about Hanson :)

Kinda reminds me of the recent article stating that LEGO is possibly
going to become a 'Generation X' collectible.

This is actually a fear of mine; that LEGO becomes more collectible than
fun.

I'm not sure - the most 'collectible' LEGO sets look as if they might be the
UCS Star Wars X-Wing and Tie-Fighter.. and they look like a *lot* of fun to put
together.. and they come with interesting bits too!

So to resolve this problem I did two things.  First, I put away my entire
childhood collection (which as an adult didn't seem quite as large as it
did 20 years ago).  Then I bought an entirely new collection.  Starting
about 1 1/2 years ago and building it from the ground up, I now have what I
feel is a reasonable collection that I can use, enjoy and eventually share
with my kids.  This collection is just large enough I can complete some
projects I never could do as a kid, and certainly large enough for any kid
to enjoy for years.  It's neither insanely huge, nor is it a few loose
pieces in an old shoebox. If LEGO never made another brick starting today,
I'm still happy with what I have.  Of course, you can never have
enough........  :)

After about 3 years (re)collecting, I think I've got about enough.. that won't
stop me buying more if it looks cool though :)

We're not as weird and outcasty as we once were - *sigh* :)

I always figured the people who couldn't enjoy something as simple as their
favorite childhood toy were the weird outcasts.  :)

Well, if the movement continues then they soon will be :)

Richard